Lineman loses hands due to lack of safety measures
CHITRAL: The relatives of an assistant lineman of Wapda have alleged that he lost both his hands owing to negligence of his colleagues.
“Bashir Khan was the sole bread earner of his 10-member family. But criminal negligence by his colleagues led to amputation of both of his hands,” they said.
One of his relatives said Bashir Khan was ordered to climb an electric pole supporting the national grid station 33KV high voltage transmission line near Lowari Pass on Chitral side to remove some fault.
“He was still busy in his work when the grid was energised by the officials in utter violation of safety rules. As a result, he received severe electric shock, which inflicted burn injuries on him,” they said.
The lineman was shifted to Peshawar for treatment but his hands were injured beyond redemption. The doctors decided to amputate his hands. The incident of its kind has taken place for third time within one year as two linemen met the same fate and got their arms amputated.
Sources said linemen working on high voltage transmission line in Lowari area were not provided with required facilities.
“The future of the children and old parents of Bashir Khan is bleak as he will no more be able to earn for them,” his relatives said. They said he was not entitled to any compensation and relief. They demanded special relief package for him.--Dawn